BETWEEN VINEYARDS AND TUSCAN HISTORY
- Ref. MB2023/6
- print / share
Poggibonsi, like many Tuscan towns, was born of an ancient history that culturally marked these enchanting places. This superb Ghibelline city, proclaimed 'imperial city' by Frederick II of Swabia in 1220, was among the most beautiful in Italy, and prospered for only 115 years: in fact, being an obstacle to the expansion of Florence, in November 1270 it was conquered by the Florentine and Neapolitan armies, supported by a strong contingent of French soldiers, after which the Florentines 'bought' from the French the right to destroy the city. While the wealthy merchants managed to escape at night, the less wealthy and the popolo minuto remained. The victors, however, forced the vanquished to descend to the slopes of the hill and amalgamate with the population still living in the older Borgo Marturi.
After 1270, this land ceased to be known as Marturi or Borgo Vecchio and, inheriting the name from the 'Noble Castle', adopted that of Poggibonsi, which it still retains.
Under the aegis of the municipality of Poggibonsi we find the San Fabiano Calcinaia estate, located in the prestigious Chianti hills. The manor house and cellars are part of a small medieval hamlet dating back to 1000 AD. Careful renovation has kept its charm intact. The Borgo's tavern is located a stone's throw from the farm of San Fabiano Calcinaia and offers one of the most beautiful views of Chianti. The Borgo can accommodate those who wish to spend a few days in the peace of the Sienese countryside tasting the excellent wines produced there and the renowned Tuscan cuisine.
The estate consists of 135 ha, with buildings totalling 7,300 sqm.
|Floor space (m²)||1250000|
|Energy Efficiency Class||E|
|Condition||View of the monument|